Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Earthkeepers, We all can be!

Earthkeepers

Earthkeepers?

As residents of the planet Earth, all of us have the responsibilities to take good care of her. We are not doing it just for Earth but for ourselves, our children and the future generations too.

Extreme weathers have hit countries recently and we can’t say for sure if they were part and parcel of Nature or they were the results of our actions. What is definite is that these extreme weathers have caused impact on us.

Droughts. Heavy rainfalls. Unusually high or low temperatures. These phenomenon have affected us one way or another.

Come to think of it… 

Do we really need a plastic bag to contain our purchase when we can just put it in our bags?

Do we really need to use disposable cutleries when the metal ones are available?

Do we all really need to drive a car to work when there is efficient public transport? 

Earthkeepers is a term created by Timberland.

Earth = the place we live in;

Keepers = the guardians.

Together, we can play our parts and do something for Earth.

Timberland started a community project in 2001 at the Horqin Desert in the People’s Republic of China. What used to be green pasture has now become a barren desert. Overgrazing and deforestation, doings of Men caused this dramatic change.

Timberland Earthkeepers have been trying to planting trees to green up the place and as of April 2010, they have planted ONE MILLION trees.

There is a plan to increase this number to TWO MILLION trees and I hope that I can be part of the team to do so.

I have always been encouraging my friends to go green. As I always asked them, “Think! Do I really need this?”

We, humans, have survived without luxury items before. We don’t need luxury items now.

It might be hard to stop ourselves from enjoying luxury items totally but I believe we can slowly reduce our reliance. Do we really need to blast the aircon at 20 Degree Celsius?

Reflection is something that I always do. By looking back at what I have done, I then decide which path I shall take next. I don’t mind getting my hands dirty. I don’t mind embracing high temperatures. So as the goal is a good one, I will go all out for it.

I am working on a project to encourage Singaporeans to use Recycle Bags. The “Bring Your Own Bag” was not a total success but it created awareness which is good. As we progress and understand that our actions do affect our environment, I believe more people will go green. Using Recycle Bags is something small yet but brings across a strong message.

I want to be a Timberland Earthkeeper.

Be a Timberland Earthkeeper and support desert greening in Horqin!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hi i saw ur post abt IO/IA. I am in the same dilemma right now. Could u tell me what did u choose in end? does IO really bad on resume?